10 Things Salespeople Do That Have Nothing to Do With Selling
Everyone knows what salespeople do day-to-day, especially those who regularly read our blog. Prospecting, making sales presentations, follow-up, and closing deals are all part of a salesperson’s repertoire, whether you’re selling cutting-edge software or commercial plumbing supplies.
But there are plenty of other things salespeople do that have nothing to do with selling. And although salespeople come from all walks of life, much of what they do when they’re not on the phones is actually quite universal.
Here are ten things salespeople do throughout the day that have nothing to do with selling:
1. Eat the lunch they brought from home at 10:30 in the morning
Gonna try to be responsible, and eat a nice, healthy…. aaaaand it’s gone.
2. Go down rabbit holes on LinkedIn
You started looking up a manufacturing company in Nebraska, but somehow end up reading a 3,000 word diatribe on college essays.
3. Covet their coworker’s snack drawer
Sarah has Popchips, almonds, and Lindor truffles, all under lock and key.
4. Spend a total of three hours a week trying to connect on a zoom call
“Can you hear me? Nick? Nick? Hello? Oh, there you are. Can you see me? Nick? Where’d you go?”
5. Partake in the daily lunch debate
Let’s pretend we’re going to eat salads for twenty minutes before we order Thai food again.
6. Email and message funny memes to each other
Is it really a sales job if you can’t send your coworkers some funny memes?
7. Make silly bets with each other
“$100 bucks says I close more deals than you before the 15th, but you have to subtract the Burton deal because you got it handed to you.”
8. Update the CRM
Time to waste an hour of productivity on data entry (Unless you’re using Spiro of course).
9. Look for things to spend their next commission check on
A toaster with a built-in TV screen? And it’s only two grand!?
10. Daydream about breaking the company sales record
If I double my productivity and everything falls into place, it’s mine!
Subscribe to Spiro’s Blog